Professional Business Advisors
It continues to intrigue us at Battelle Capital Advisors that most business owners would not think twice about hiring a realtor for a real estate transaction, but when it comes to a much more important and complex business transaction, such as selling their business, they decide to go it alone.
Whether you are buying or selling a business, needing to raise capital, or planning for the succession of your company, a professional business advisor plays a very critical role in the process. The advisor serves in a trusted role for the business owner, helping to maintain their confidence while expediting the completion of a mutually beneficial transaction.
The following are some additional reasons why a business owner should enlist the help of professional advisors:
- Time: You have a business to run, which needs to be your first priority.
- Valuations: Early in the process, valuations need to be developed. This would be done by a competent advisor as part of their normal process.
- Tax Issues: All tax considerations need to be understood before decisions are made. Most experienced advisors understand the basics, and it is especially helpful for the advisor to have access to tax experts.
- Expert Negotiations: Don’t take this personally, but the worst negotiators are usually the ones personally involved in the decisions. Also, the structure can be more important than price, so it is critical to understand the vast options in structuring a mutually beneficial transaction. One must understand the objectives of both parties, and recognize hidden agendas. Creativity is also important in negotiating and structuring critical transactions.
- Savings: Yes, business owners should actually realize savings in using the services of a competent advisor, especially in buy or sell transactions. First, the business owner is able to maintain their focus on their business, saving the risk of things falling through the cracks. Secondly, the advisor provides analysis, valuations, tax strategies, due diligence, and even documentation without the need to go to outside advisors early in the process. And most important, through expert negotiations and deal structruing experience, the advisor actually ends up saving the client more than their fees.
The Professionals at Battelle Capital Advisors
Unlike many Merger & Acquisition/Investment Banking firms, the professionals of Battelle Capital Advisors have hands on experience in owning/operating privately owned businesses. Accordingly, they can relate to the challenges business owners face on a daily basis. Further, several of our professionals have been involved directly as a buyer/seller of businesses, and thus can share the perspective of their clients and understand the personal factors involved in a contemplated transaction.